Monday, November 15, 2010

have you heard of Bismark...I mean Bismarck?

If you answered yes, then you know where I am heading.  Specifically, I am headed toward yummy, donut land. Thankfully, Durango has an awesome donut shop, Durango Doughworks.  If you have not been before then you must go, and go now!

This past Sunday I took my daughter, Lyric, to breakfast at Durango Doughworks.  We decided to start our meal by splitting an appetizer, namely a Bismarck donut.  These donuts have always been my favorite, and I am happy to say that I have guided my daughter deftly, and they are now her favorite too.  Let me give you the run-down:  a Bismarck donut is typically a yeast donut with a filled center, and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar or a glaze of chocolate.  Wikipedia says more here Yummiest donut EVER! My favorite variety is the Boston Creme version that is filled with vanilla custard and glazed with chocolate.  Please do try this donut the next time you are gazing at a donut case - you will not be let down.

After we cut our donut in half, and my daughter eyed both very carefully to determine which was bigger (AKA 'Hers'), we pitched in.  I used my fingers and sipped coffee, while Lyric decided to use a fork and knife, accompanied by OJ (ah yes, feel the sugar crash anyone?)  Then, we moved on to our main course.  Lyric wisely ordered the biscuits and gravy and I had the Whole Hog Scramble with fruit and bacon (Lyric feels that breakfast is incomplete without bacon.)  We tend to eat family style, and share our dishes, unless...some of you know what it's like to have kids!

Let me start with the biscuits and gravy.  Many people love this breakfast item, but many more are confounded by it.  It seems to me that it is a fringe breakfast item, much like corned beef hash.  However, those who like biscuits and gravy are loyal followers and can discern the finer points of what goes into a good recipe (some can be really icky.)  The dish is very simple, it requires a good biscuit (fluffy is the best) and Sawmill or White gravy that is made from browned, ground sausage, flour, milk and lots of black pepper.  The gravy is smothered over the split biscuits, and voila! you have a super-awesome dish.  Durango Doughworks biscuits and gravy recipe was one of the best I have ever had.  They make their recipe distinct by adding Cumin; but, not so much as to overwhelm it.  The heat in their dish was just enough to add flavor,  but not so much as to scare away my six year old.  The biscuits were crazy fluffy and good!  Lyric's comment was that the biscuits were, "Like a cloud!"  Overall, this was a great recipe and we really enjoyed them.

Now, on to the breakfast scramble. The main ingredients were: bacon, sausage and diced onions, topped with cheddar.  This dish is enormous in size and well cooked, and the side of bacon included four slices!  I personally love breakfast scrambles because I can be a bit squeamish when it comes to the preparation of my eggs.  My family says that I like them overcooked, but I disagree.  I just can't abide by slime.  My throat has an instant reject button right at my uvula.  I prefer to think that I am just more discerning about my eggs; I do like them, but they must be over hard.  When I scramble eggs, I add water and some cheese, to keep them moist, but cook them while stirring, until they are no longer runny.  I understand that this may dissapoint many foodies, but it is a texture thing, and my body simply rejects runny eggs like a poorly executed belly-button ring!  Either way, the scramble at Durango Doughworks was great, no complaints here.  It was moist with plenty of 'stuff' and no slime in sight.

The coffee was great, I love Desert Sun Roasters.  Just strong enough to give me a jolt, but still have great flavor.  I think I drank like three cups!  And I have to give a shout-out to our server, Chelsea, who was great.  I had no idea that she would be there and it was really nice to have a friendly face at breakfast - I love small towns!  And on that note, I suppose this is the end of my first entry.  I find myself wondering how to close the topic...oh well, I will leave that for another post, let's just end with, 'It was a great breakfast'.

Om Nom Nom,
Errin

2 comments: