Monday, November 22, 2010

Machaca!!

Like many folks in Durango, I am a transplant.  In 2002, I moved to Durango from Tucson, AZ.  I miss nothing  about Tucson, except my grandparents and the Mexican food...yummmm Mexican food...  

If I had one gripe about Durango, it would be that I cannot find the Sonoran Mexican food that I crave.  Until recently.  There are two restaurants in Durango that serve Mexican food that I recognize, Tacos Nayarit and Emilio's, that latter will be the topic of my post today.

Now, I am not belittling the Mexican food in Durango, it is just not what I like.  I think that most of the restaurants tend to serve, New Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine.  There is altogether too much sour cream and green chile involved for my taste.  I have a motto for my Mexican food, "I want lard in my beans, and cabbage on my tacos, and I don't really want to know what meat it is."  I crave good, red enchilada sauce; sweet, green-corn tamales (or the tamales with the little green olive inside - pit and all!); ceviche with octopus, scallops, shrimp and flounder; and what I crave the most is MACHACA BEEF!  

Most people are not familiar with this dish, but it was a Sunday morning tradition in my house when I lived in Tucson.  My step dad would get up early on Sunday, go get his paper and pick up two heaping Styrofoam containers of Machaca beef, typically from Filiberto' (a Mexican fast-food joint).  Then, we would all gather around and devour the entire contents.  

Now, from what I understand, Machaca Beef, or Carne Machaca, is the Mexican equivalent of beef jerky, and traditionally was a dried beef that was pounded to tenderize, then reconstituted and used in all sorts of dishes.  Today's recipe is a little different, and there are many to choose from.  Basically, you take boneless chuck roast and slow roast it with spices and seasonings in a crockpot or something similar.  Then, it is finished off with peppers and onions.  When you get this dish at a restaurant, they typically finish the beef on a a flat-top grill, making it totally crispy and delicious.  Personally, I think twice cooking beef and pork is about one of the best ideas EVER!  Machaca beef is served with tortillas, and can be found as a filling in many other Mexican dishes.  Many times it will be served with melted cheese or salsa on top, eggs on the side, or eggs scrambled directly into it.  My preferred method is pristine, with everything on the side - so that it stays nice and crispy.  I like flour tortillas, but I think that corn are a little hardier and stand up to this fantastic dish with panache and a sense of tradition.

Now, I hope you are desperately wondering, "But Errin, where can I get this delectable dish in Durango!?"  Well, my friend, you can go to the Main Mall and order some up from Emilio's.  They have a skillet version with potatoes, which I have never ordered, or the egg dish (I order eggs on the side).  Their meal comes with refried beans, and your choice of flour or corn tortillas.  I always order a side of their house salsa, which I really like.  This time I took my daughter Lyric, and she ordered French toast with bacon (again, proving that she feels no meal is complete without bacon!)  We had OJ and water, and of course we shared each other's breakfasts, family style.  

One of the main reasons I like Emilio's in the Mall, besides the Machaca, is the atmosphere.  You can eat out in the open area that feels almost like an atrium.
Another, thing I like about Emilio's is that it is a local, family-owned establishment.  They also own the taco stall across the way named Pepe's Tacos (which are fabulous!)  I always have the same server, who is also the co-owner with her husband.  There is a relaxed sense to the service, so don't go if you want to have your food ready in 5 minutes and have your server hovering over you.  Another reason I like to go, is that we can take our dog with us as long as we eat in the atrium area (our very well-behaved dog, FYI.)  I get to relax and Lyric can wander around with Tid-Bit and walk upstairs if she wants.


Now to the nitty-gritty, the adventure of the food.  The Machaca is delicious and I love their beans.  The corn tortillas or usually pretty darn good (once I got them and they were all dried out).  The salsa takes me back to Tucson and I always wish I had some hot, fresh tortilla chips with it.  Their bacon is great, plus it is a great deal - you get four big slices for $1.99.  I always leave totally stuffed with my craving sated.  My only words of advice would be - stick to the Mexican dishes.  The OJ was a little funky, the French toast was dry and had way too much cinnamon, and the scrambled eggs were over cooked.  However, for the price I think that this is a pretty good deal.  Besides, I go there for the Machaca Beef, not the other breakfast items.  I like this Machaca Beef so much, that I have even brought it to my parents house on Sundays, and we are all in agreement that it is a fine example of our beloved Sunday meal.

So, I have one more reason to love Durango - Emilio's Machaca Beef.  Now, the beautiful vistas, tight-knit community, breathtaking hikes (literally), and my friends and family keep me happy in Durango - but it is so nice to have the taste of Tucson available when I want it as well.

Om Nom Nom - Errin

No comments:

Post a Comment